Every area has some local styles of everything, including knives; therefore, you may have seen both vegetable cleaver & Nakiri when you cook. Anyway, Chinese vegetable cleaver vs Nakiri is also a matter of debate as there are many everyday things between China & Japan.
I also have two of these knives for my personal uses & each of them has their advantages & disadvantages; I don’t regret keeping both. I use both of the knives, switching them & according to my needs.
Anyway, let’s read the whole thing to know the actual comparison of Chinese Vegetable Cleaver & Nakiri; I hope you will enjoy it; shall we start?
What Is a Cleaver?
A cleaver is one kind of knife that is strong enough to divide or cleave one food item into equal halves or more than that. Though the article is about vegetable cleaver, you should know that you can have cleavers for meat, bones, or fruits; the sharpness & features vary due to the purposes.
Now, you will know about a perfect & well-featured vegetable cleaver & its comparison to the Japanese ancient styled vegetable cutter, Nakiri.
What Are Things Common in Vegetable Cleaver & Nakiri?
Both of these knives belong to South Asia & the countries’ cultures are much alike, making things standard between Chinese vegetable cleaver & Nakiri.
- First of all, you must include that both types of knives are significant & specialized for cutting all kinds of vegetables. They can cut both short & long vegetables within a short time.
However, you can check the knives on the same vegetables & see the result for yourself.
- Another common thing between these two is vegetable cleaver & Nakiri are made of carbon steel & all the raw materials used to manufacture are the same.
You can pick some specific models of both types, check the product details, & see that the materials are almost the same.
- Nakiri & Chinese vegetable cleaver have a wide range of blades, making them identical & appropriate for cutting vegetables. Please don’t worry about your safety due to the blade’s range because you won’t have a cut if you carefully use them.
- You won’t face any restriction of fruits and vegetables if you use either a cleaver or a Nakiri; there are no fruits or vegetables that you can’t cut with both of the knives. A valid reason behind the fact is the Chinese & Japanese food habit, produced vegetables, & fruits are also the same.
- You will find similarities in the shapes of a Nakiri & vegetable cleaver; if you don’t know how to differentiate them, you can mix them up quickly. Moreover, their design is old-fashioned & the manufacturers have never updated the designs but the materials.
You may don’t have any confusion about the similar things between a vegetable cleaver & a Nakiri; you may think that if they can be an alternative to each other or not.
Chinese Vegetable Cleaver vs. Nakiri: List the Differences Between Them
You learned the everyday things before, but it’s time to know their differences; otherwise, you may consider them as the same thing. Please remember that a Chinese cleaver & a Nakiri are not the same; the differences between them are listed below:
- The first difference you will find between a cleaver & Nakiri is their origin because the first one is launched & made in China. On the other hand, Nakiri was first invented in Japan & it’s mostly used there, though knife manufacturing is running worldwide.
- In the second position, you can say that despite their being the same shape, their surfaces are different. For instance, you will find round shapes drawn on the half of the Nakiri, but the cleaver’s surface is plain.
- The difference between these two is in their weights; Nakiri is lightweight than Caidao or Chinese vegetable cleaver. For instance, a cleaver can weigh from 250-350g; on the other hand, a Nakiri is not as heavy as a cleaver because the weight range is 150-180g.
- Anyway, the weight of the two different knives are different, & their length can also vary. A cleaver is longer than Nakiri, but both have different size ranges; thus, one item of a size range may match with the other type & length range.
If you want to pick a light knife & want an easy hold on it, you should get a Nakiri, but you must select a cleaver if you’re comfortable with heavy-weight.
- You can also compare the blade’s hardness, & you have to keep the Chinese cleaver ahead because their edges are more complex than those of the Nakiri’s. As a result, the previous ones are more long-lasting than the latter ones, making them people’s first choice.
- A Japanese Nakiri is more appropriate for long vegetables, whereas a Chinese cleaver is the best option for lemon, tomato, & other short veggies.
You have enough differences between Chinese cleaver & Nakiri to choose any one of them; I admit that you will have pros & cons of both products. Anyway, the Chinese knife for vegetables is the better choice, according to the experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Best Chinese Cleaver for All?
The Shun 7-inch Classic Cleaver is the overall best one for people with different experience levels, & for all purposes, it is the top-seller item in 2021.
Why Do Chefs Use Cleaver a Lot?
Chinese cleavers are famous among the chefs worldwide for chopping bones & red meat, not much as vegetable cutters.
Is Nakiri Appropriate for All Vegetables?
Nakiri is buying worth it, & especially when you’re getting to cut long vegetables in the kitchen; you will need a Nakiri.
What Size of Nakiri Is the Best?
The 5-7 inch Nakiri is the best one that you can use for multipurpose, not only for vegetable chopping.
Can I Use a Cleaver for Multipurpose?
Surprisingly, you can use a cleaver for all food items; you can chop, slice, or divide them.
The Chinese vegetable cleaver vs. Nakiri will never end, but you will have to know about that to pick the best option for yourself. However, you will find various brands manufacturing different styled cleaver or Nakiri; please go through the online sites.
Anyway, you will find differences & standard things between two different items, a cleaver & a Nakiri are not different. I hope you won’t have further queries regarding this topic & find no problem in selection.
- Walnut VS Maple Cutting Board – Which is the Best?
- Kitchen Knife vs Combat Knife – What are the Differences?
- Chinese Vegetable Cleaver vs Nakiri – What’s the Difference?
- What Is the Difference Between a Switchblade & an OTF Knife?
- In-Depth Comparison Shun Classic vs Premier Knives: Which is the best?
- Shun Kanso vs Classic: Which Knife Collection is Better
- A complete comparison of Wusthof classic vs Classic ikon
- Comparison of Kiritsuke vs Chef Knife: What’s the Different
- Dalstrong vs Shun knife: Which Brand is The Best for Kitchen
- In-Depth Comparison of Nakiri vs Santoku Knife-Which is the best?
- Carbon vs Stainless steel knife: Which is right for the kitchen?
- Yanagiba vs Sujihiki Knife Comparison: Which is the Best?
- Comparison of Gyuto vs Chef Knife: How You Can Find the Best
- What’s Better Miyabi vs Shun knives? In-depth comparison
- Zelite vs Dalstrong: which kitchen knife is the best for buy
- Which Brand Knife is The Best Between Dalstrong Knife vs Wusthof Knife
- What’s the Differences between Boning knife vs Fillet Knife When Cutting?
- Comparison of Dagger Vs Knife – What are the Main Difference
- Comparison of the Santoku Knife vs Chef Knife
- What is The Different of Ceramic vs Stainless Steel Kitchen Knives
I am Luna L. Rusk, a passionate content writer. Always I provide accurate product reviews and information for quicker shopping. I love to cook for my family. In my leisure time, I love spending time with chefs for learning new cooking.